Friday, August 7, 2009

A little progress, not much

I've been lazy this week. I've got excuses, but they're too lame to report. Every so often I've gone into the studio to rewet the tile, but not to do much more than that.



It's wet now, but next time I see it, it'll be relatively dry again. You can see that all I did was start building up the speech bubble and Pip. I was sick that day and gave up quickly. Still don't know if this is going to be a final product or just a practice.

When I first pictured this project, I imagined a much greater level of neatness and perfection, but what I really get is a lot "sketchier." One artist I usually list as a favorite is Pablo Picasso. The reason is not necessarily that I like his art. Several years ago I visited the Picasso museum in Paris, and one of the things I came away with was that Picasso was very prolific, but not necessarily neat. It was a bit of a relief to me because it made me realize that I could be making good art even if it isn't pristine and perfectly neat. (Not that it gives me an excuse to be sloppy.) I just have to remind myself sometimes that I'm usually the only one who notices flaws or errors in my work and I don't need to panic if something doesn't turn out exactly as I imagined it.

No comments:

Post a Comment